02 December 2005

Valmiki is now actually in the South Seas. After a long flight in which Dec. 2, my father's birthday, somehow disappeared--I'm not discounting the possibility of some kind of time warp over the Central Pacific--I arrived in Nadi on the Western coast of Fiji. Nadi is Fiji's third largest city and major tourism hub, but is clear across the island from Suva, the capital and my destination. I never actually saw Nadi, as I went straight from the airport to Lautoka, a sleepier town 30 km to the north, where a contact recommended I stay. The sun is high and hot, but the town is active with Indians and native Fijians playing footie in the park and haggling over fresh fruits and vegetables in the outdoor market. But I'm spending most of the day on the phone and the Internet getting in touch with contacts and trying to ensure I have a place to stay when I arrive in Suva tomorrow afternoon. After much contemplation and soul-searching, it looks like I will be staying, at least for a couple of nights, at the Motel 6.

More general observations, and some photos and environmental/science/cultural background to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home