10 December 2005


To escape the monotony of the city a bit, I spent Saturday hiking and taking pictures in Colo-i-Suva (pronounced tholo-ee-soo-va), a rainforest in the mountains about 30 minutes north of Suva. (Click on images to view larger versions.)




The trail skips back and forth across Waisila Creek, which provides the only real openings in the canopy and undergrowth.


The undergrowth is so bloody thick, I could have been standing next to an elephant and not known it, but I think there wasn’t much wildlife besides bugs and birds. Spiders make ready use of the open space along the trail.

I didn’t see anyone else on the trail—the forest is so dense that it has this isolating, insulating effect. You come onto a waterfall and can obviously hear the water splashing. Round a corner on the trail, just a few yards from the water, and the forest just swallows the sound. I don’t suppose anyone could hear you scream there, had there been anything to scream about.



Far along the trail (or easily accessible from a dirt road on the other side of the park) are a few sets of old-fashioned swimming holes, one of which has a superlatively dangerous rope swing. I lacked the swimwear, and probably the cajones, to give it a try.


It could be lack of effort on my part, but I haven’t had a whole lot of traditional Fijian food, but I honestly think it’s not that easy to find. At a lodge near the park, kokoda (pronounced ko-kon-da) was the only traditional item on the menu. It’s a bit like a ceviche, except with coconut milk, and I’m determined to try and make it back in the States, but I'll understand if anyone is wary of trying my version.

1 Comments:

Blogger Samir S. Patel said...

Well, I think fish is pretty integral to the recipe. Good thing I'm not vegetarian now, or there wouldn't be much to eat.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home