11 December 2005

A few people have asked about the weather here and I've avoided saying anything about it because I've seen what it is like in New York.

I'm off to Nadi tonight and then on to Nauru tomorrow morning. It was only through some amazingly lucky acrobatics that I managed to get a journalist's visa to enter Nauru. They have some pretty severe communication problems. The Department of Immigration is unable to communicate with the Foreign Affairs office, even though they are probably in the same building, and the fax of my passport I sent three weeks ago disappeared into the ether until Friday morning. Anyway, after a call to the Director of Immigration, I got things straightened out and he's used a loophole to get me an emergency visa, which he sent through the airline's computer system (and he sent a paper copy on the flight that arrives from Nauru today for me to pick up when I check in tomorrow). Anyway, it was only through about four turns of luck and one well-timed phone call that I will be allowed to go there. I'll be providing some background once I arrive, but I'm not sure how reliable the Internet service will be.

In the meantime, here is Suva Harbor last night.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of food do they live on where you are now?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Samir
Have you investigated the connection between Nauru and Hawaii, it is pretty interesting, as well as their guano wealth.
There are enormous tower condos on prime real estate in Honolulu called Nauru Towers, built during the days when Nauru was so wealthy from guano they couldn't spend the money.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Samir S. Patel said...

I've read a little about Nauru's investment in Hawaiian condos and other real estate projects, inlcuding, strangely, housing developments in Texas and Oregon. An island to island comparison might be something worth exploring a little more, although I think Hawaii, even without being part of the U.S., is way, way better off than where I am now.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home