22 December 2005

My hopes for a flight back to Fiji next week have fizzled. The next flight goes to Brisbane next Saturday, Dec. 31, and I'll be on it. That will likely be the last flight out of Nauru for two or three weeks, so it's literally my last chance. I'm told there is a flight to Fiji from Brisbane the next day.

I'll likely have to pay for a hotel room in Brisbane that night, but it is New Year's Eve, so I don't know that I'll find one. May be sleeping on my bags in the airport that night. I'm now in the process of trying to convince the airline that I should not have to pay for the flight from Brisbane to Nadi.

At any rate I've been struggling just a bit lately to keep a sense of humor about this. Another week ...

Anyway, I think it is pretty likely that everything in Nauru, including the Internet office, will be closed until Wednesday. So long for now, folks. Happy Holidays.

p.s. I'm told that the hotel I am staying at sort of hosts an all-night party outside for Christmas. I've seen some workers there preparing speakers the size of compact cars. Incredibly loud. Christmas music. All night long. I may reconsider that 400-mile canoe trip.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paddle to Hong Kong and you can stay for free. Then join our dragon baot them here. After 4000 miles 500 meters will seem like nothing.

Chris

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

karaoke man! show those naurauians how it's done!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up your spirits Samir. At least you won't have to watch another lame made-for-TV xmas special. We hung an extra ornament on our tree thinking about you... good luck buddy, we will definitely see you soon.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you, but am certain you'll turn this into an adventure novel or something (assuming you get off the island).

You're stuck on an island in the south seas, I'm stuck with toddlers in Kansas ... let's see who survives.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home